Sharing a flat or house is a great way to save money for long-term accommodation, especially for students and working people. When sharing a flat with the flatmates in Pune, you may find it an amazing experience, but there will also be times when you may have conflicts with them. Here we have listed some secret tips that will help you to get along with your flatmates.
- Communication is the key: The most effective way to get along with your flatmates when sharing a flat in Pune is to communicate with each other. Make sure that everyone is heard and feels understood around you. Even if you are making a simple request, try to be mindful of your words and phrases so that they don’t offend the rest of your group. Effective communication acts as the best way to avoid disputes with your flatmates.
- Keep the shared places clean: No matter if you are going to share the flat for the short-term or long-term, it’s vital that you show respect to your flatmates and thus, try to keep your shared places such as living room, kitchen, and bathroom clean. Just have a chat with your flatmates about what they define as ‘cleanliness’ and set up the guidelines, including who will clean the shared space on which day or who will be responsible for cleaning different spaces? You can also decide that the items like cleaned laundry should be folded in the respective rooms and should not leave lying around the communal space or the dirty plates or cups are to be brought to the kitchen and not be kept anywhere else.
- Talk through problems: Of course, no matter how much you try to keep the flat clean; there may be other problems that may take place. So, in case you are having any problem with your flatmates so make sure to talk about the same with your flatmates. For example, you may have a problem with one of your flatmates having friends over late in the night before a day to your big exam. This is something important for your career, and thus, you should talk to your flatmate about the same. Just ask him or her not to have friends to cover over the night just a day before your exams. To avoid having issues, the best way is to organize regular flat meetings. In these meetings, discuss the issues and try to settle them.
- Have fun together: The best way to know more about your flatmates is to make them your friends too. Just show them that you are genuinely interested in being friends with them. Try to make conversations with your flatmates. Ask them about what they are currently doing, what are their hobbies, what are their plans, what are their favorite movies or songs, how they love to spend their time, and many other things. If you are planning to go out for a movie, then you can ask your flatmates to join you. Just don’t miss any chance to get along with your flatmates.
- Set your boundaries: While it is great to spend time together, you also need your personal time and space. It is imperative to respect the boundaries of each other and not to treat the common space as the private one. Although you must respect your flatmates, it is also essential that they respect you. You all might belong to a different culture and thinking, so setting boundaries early in the game is vital to avoid conflicts in the future. Don’t be rude, just explain calmly to them what you like and whatnot. In case you want to study, then you should do the same in your room and not the communal space. Similarly, if your flatmate needs some quiet time, then you should not disturb him or her.
- Learn to compromise and be accepting: You may be thinking, is this a kind of any relationship advice. But no, it isn’t. Living with other people in the same flat is not going to be easy. You will find yourself stepping on the toes of one another from time to time. If you want to have a smooth living experience with your flatmates, then compromising on things should be second nature to you. Your flatmates will sometimes be wrong, and so does you. Therefore, always try to give your flatmates a little grace if some mistake is made by them and try to hear them out what they want to say.
Finding flat and flatmates in Pune and living with them can be a rollercoaster experience. These were the six key secret tips that you should consider adapting to so that you can live peacefully and happily with your flatmates.